Friday, February 11, 2011

Puncture Proof

I was reading Velo News online and saw this article about puncture resistant tires.  There are the tires you can buy and the DIY.

There are lots of great puncture-resistant tires out there. I’ve had good luck with Continental Gator Hardshells, Specialized Armadillos, Maxxis Refuses and Vittoria Zaffiros Pros. They might not offer super supple ride quality, but they also don’t put your fingers at risk of frostbite when you’re changing a flat in freezing temperatures. I’ve said it over and over in this column, but I like big tires. And there is nothing wrong with a 25 or 28-millimeter tires for winter riding. The bigger tire will also help lessen the poorer ride quality of super puncture-resistant training tires.

If you have a pile of tires lying around, you have another option. We were just discussing it at the office today in fact. In the past I’ve cut the bead off of worn out tires and used them as tire liners. Caley Fretz calls it “the system.” I’d never heard it called that before (he was living in Fort Collins for some time…), but it certainly helps prevent flats. Just be sure to check the tires you’re using as liners for debris or glass before you put them inside your training tires.

I know you only asked about tire suggestions, but I have to mention that going tubeless is another great option. With a good “system” using a tubeless rim, a tire like Hutchinson’s Intensive 25mm and some sealant you’ll have a hard time puncturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment