Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Interest In Bike Commuting

I think its cool to be asked about bike commuting.  Out of all the people to talk to, I guess I have a conversation starter when I have my bike on Marta and when I walk into my building with a helmet and pants cuff ankle bands Today I was asked twice by 2 different people about bike commuting.

The 1st encounter was on the train.  A man asked if I had any trouble with room on the train for my bike.  I answered No.  I have been lucky enough that I commute during off-peak hours so there is room for me and my bike at the front car or the back car.  The middle cars will have more people riding so I avoid those cars.  But if it was peak commute hours, I still think I can fit me and my bike in one of the cars at the back of the train.  I think I have; its far and few between that I commute during peak hours.  Then he mentioned going to Portland and seeing many bike commuters and finally we went our merry ways.

The 2nd encounter was in my buildings elevator.  He had asked if I used any special equipment to ride.  I answered No.  The ankle bands were given as a gift but a rubber band can substitute.  The backpack is like any other backpack.  The pants are my work pants.  The windbreaker is just that.  There is nothing special to my commute clothing.

Hopefully people see that bike commuting doesnt require special items and can be fairly simple.

See you on the road and commute safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment