Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Disposing Of Bike Helmets

I was cruising around the web and I read about someones bike crash.  Its never fun to crash and it makes me cringe.  Im glad to see she was alright.  Her bike needs fixing though.  But there was an interesting bit about disposing of a broken helmet, cut the straps and throw the helmet into the garbage.  I know helmets have a lifespan before manufacturers recommend getting a new helmet.  Basically the helmet loses its ability to fully protect.  If the shell gets cracked, time to replace.  If the helmet is involved in an accident, time to replace.  If used long enough, time to replace.
I am guilty of all of this.  I wear old helmets.  I wear a helmet that has been in a crash.  I have worn a helmet with a cracked shell.  A helmet is a helmet and its better than my unprotected skull.  I know each person has their own standards as obvious by this post.  I see a lot of riders who are helmetless; maybe a helmet is a luxury.  I would like to give them free helmets.  Its protection for them.  Again it’s more than an unprotected head.
When a helmet (regardless of condition) is donated to a local bike co-op, community bike shop, etc like BICAS, RUBARB, Bike Kitchen, SoPo, and others; wont the helmets be available to those who cant afford them Are those helmets even accepted?  I also see a bunch of helmets at thrift stores.  Who knows how long those helmets have been there or what they have gone through.  Again it is a helmet.  I err to the side of a helmet helps protect so lets get helmets on all heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment