Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cyclocross Knowledge

I found this little tidbit from the bonedeth tumblr site which is Dan Chabanov of the RGM Watches/Richard Sachs Bikes CX team...


elartiste asked: How do you feel about a single chainring option for CX? I'm currently running a 50/34 and would like to switch to one 44. I know it's mostly personal preference but I was just wondering what your thoughts are.
Get the 44 and keep the 34. Why limit your self? The little ring has its uses. For instance when its peanut butter mud you’re riding though the little ring lets you keep your chain mid cassette and your derailer away from your spokes. Being able to do that could save your derailer from an untimely death. There are other benefits like being able to ride some technical run ups and honestly I don’t think anyone has ever lost a race because their gear range was too wide. I’m all for double chain rings. Currently I am running 44/38 with a 12/28 in the back.

The things I have to learn to keep mud and other grime out of my derailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment