Friday, October 29, 2010

Hi On The Streets

I picked up a thread on Faster Mustache about leapfrogging through the Krog tunnel and cyclists saying hello to each other.  The 'hello' was a little more interesting.  Leapfrogging cars I have done and will continue to do if the situation makes sense.  On McClendon at Clifton going Eastbound, its no use to leapfrog because I will be a rolling chicane up the hill.  On Edgewood at Boulevard going Eastbound, leapfrogging makes sense because the bike lane starts after the intersection. Blah, blah, blah...

Now with cyclists saying 'hi' to each other, I think that cyclists are more exposed and thus have an opportunity to say hi.  I also think that it lends a little solidarity for us on bikes to see others, call it on the road support.  This doesn't mean to say that probably its sometimes creepy for random unknown people to say hi to you on the road.  But hey, I do it to cyclists, drivers, and pedestrians; maybe they'll start noticing the good things about biking.  It's a big hope.  So yesterday on my commute home I wanted to pay attention to other cyclists and see their reaction or even if they show any acknowledgement.

  1. Guy on a mountain bike riding on the sidewalk along Central Park; no acknowledgement.
  2. Commuter in jeans and a collared shirt, clipless pedals, and a Colnago road bike; leapfrogged me and traffic, no acknowledgement.
  3. Every person on a mountain bike that I passed on the Path (and there were 2 handfulls); acknowledgement.
  4. Guy on a brakeless track bike passing me on McClendon; acknowledgement.
  5. Guy in Aaron's kit on McClendon; eye contact but no acknowledgement.
  6. Another guy in Aaron's kit on DeKalb; no acknowledgement.
  7. Guy in random kit, none.
When I really do pay attention its interesting to note who does it and not.  But I can't group folks who do and don't.  There are squids who do say hi and some who turn up their nose.  There are hipsters who do the same thing.

So I'll keep on waving and saying hi.  I'll see you on the streets of Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment